This is one of our recipe favourites, big juicy ripe tomatoes, whole chillis, garlic and chunks of red onion, hot smoked then blended to create a delicious go-with-anything hot relish.
1. Chop the onion into segments, smash the cloves of garlic and keep both tomatoes and chillis whole and place on a baking tray. Puncture the tomatoes just once with a sharp knife.
2. Douse with a little oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Prepare your BBQ or smoker and add 2 handfuls of oak chips for a stronger smoke, or a fruitwood chip for something a little more subtle. Place the chips in a smoker box or wrap in a foil pouch leaving the top open and position on your heat source.
4. Close your BBQ lid to aid smoke infusion and cook at a medium to low heat for around 40 minutes or until browned and softened.
5. Remove from the BBQ, squeeze the garlic from the skins and remove the tomato and chilli stalks. Blitz the ingredients in a blender. We like to retain a bit of texture but if you prefer a smoother sauce, blend for longer.
6. Pour into sterlised kilner jars (just use boiling water) and seal. Store in the fridge and use to smother all your favourite BBQ foods.
- 2kg of large tomatoes
- 4 whole red chillis
- 2 medium red onion
- 6 whole cloves garlic
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Oak chips for a fuller smoker flavour, fruitwood for someting a little more subtle.