You can try this sticky smoked fruit mix with any nut and fruit combination including pineapple, peaches, almonds or pecans. The smoky tones complement the syrupy sweetness.
1. Halve the figs and plums and remove the plum kernels. Place on a baking tray and scatter with pistachios then drizzle with agave syrup. Mix gently to ensure even coverage.
2. Prepare your BBQ or smoker and bring it to a medium to low heat. Bring the coals over to one side of your firebox. Your aim is to cook indirectly and as slowly as possible. Add a handful of whisky barrel oak chips to a smoker box or a foil pouch and place on your white hot coals or above your gas burners.
3. Place the baking tray with your ingredients to one side of your BBQ chamber so that you are ‘offset grilling’, cooking from the chamber heat of your coals rather than grilling directly above them.
4. Turn the fruits and nuts once or twice during cooking but keep your BBQ or smoker lid shut for the rest of the 10 to 15 minutes cooking time.
5. Delicious served with creme fraiche.
- Fresh figs
- Fresh plums
- Whole pistachio nuts
- Agave syrup
- Creme fraiche
- Whisky barrel chips or pear chips for a lighter smoke