1. We’ve used a Romanesco cauliflower for this recipe for their beautiful shape and fresh flavour, but you can also use a regular cauliflower.
2. Cut the cauliflowers into slabs from top to bottom with a 1.5 to 2cm thickness. Drizzle both sides with olive oil and a scattering of Piri Piri rub.
3. Establish your BBQ or smoker heat source to a medium heat and add a handful of pear chips to a smoker box or foil pouch, then directly onto your heat source.
4. Place the cauliflower steaks on your grill rack and cook slowly for up to 10 minutes each side, turning once you have grill lines. Drizzle with a little more oil.
5. Serve as a side to barbecued meats
6. For for a vegan twist serve with a smoked beetroot hummus. Peel and chop the beetroot into segments, place on a grill rack and smoke over pear wood or a stronger wood such as oak until tender. Blitz in a food processor and add to a homemade or shop bought hummus.
- Romaneso cauliflower
- Piri piri spice rub
- Olive oil
- Pear chips