This recipe is a brilliant twist on the traditional toffee apple, blending smoky caramel with salt to create sticky apple lollipops.
1. Place the sugar, salt and star anise into a foil pouch
2. Put the pouch on the grill rack of your smoker or BBQ and hot smoke gently for one hour over apple smoking chips
3. Cut the apples horizonally rather than from top to bottom into 1.5cm slices. No need to peel or core. This creates a wonderful central star shape to each slice.
4. Mix the lemon juice with 100ml of water and douse the slices which will stop them going brown
5. In a pan, add the golden syrup to the smoked sugar and salt mixture. Heat until it dissolves and begins to caramelise.
6. Once it has reached setting point, place skewers carefully into the apple slices and dip into the caramel mixture.
7. Place each apple ‘lollipop’ on greaseproof paper on a baking tray and refrigerate for around 30 minutes before serving
- 6 apples
- 250g soft brown sugar
- 10g coarse sea salt
- 2 tbs golden syrup
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 or 3 whole star anise
- Apple smoking chips, or any other fruitwood or nutwood of your choice