1. Carefully remove the bone from the lamb leg joint to butterfly the meat. (A good butcher will also do this for you if you prefer)
2. For the herb marinade, finely chop the fresh herbs and mix with salt, pepper, chopped garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Coat the meat with the rub and leave to marinade for up to 2 hours.
3. Prepare your BBQ or smoker and add 2 handfuls of cherry chips to a smoker box or wrap in a foil pouch leaving the top open. Place the chips on your heat source.
4. Add sprigs of fresh mint and rosemary to the water bowl if using one.
5. Place the marinaded meat on the grill rack, close your lid and cook very gently for one and half hours at around 100 to 110 degrees C.
6. Once cooked, remove and allow to settle for 10 minutes.
7. Slice thinly and serve with hasselback potatoes and hot smoked asparagus for a delicious new season spread.
- 3kg leg of lamb on the bone
- for the herb marinade: fresh rosemary, mint and thyme, dried oregano, fresh chopped garlic or garlic powder, lemon and olive oil (add any spicier notes to this if you prefer)
- for the water pan: whole sprigs fresh rosemary and mint
- to serve: roast potatoes – try hasselback and griddled seasonal asparagus
- Cherry chips